NØHR QRM Forum Index NØHR QRM
Ham Radio Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Product Discussion:High Sierra: Sidekick

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0hr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Product Discussion:High Sierra: Sidekick Reply with quote

This thread contains a general discussion of the High Sierra Sidekick antenna.
n0hr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Capacity hat options for the High Sierra Sidekick Reply with quote

I've decided to try a capacity hat for my High Sierra Sidekick and I've been thinking through the pros and cons of the High Sierra SixShooter vs the DXengineering HotRodz.

It seems to me that the HotRodz would have the following advantages:
- electrically better (the "hat" is at the top end of the antenna instead of the middle)
- flexibility (comes with 18 rods of various lengths)
- plastic ends (safety)
- slightly lower price ($54 + $13 for a spring vs $70)

The SixShooter would have the following advantages (mechanical):
- lower drag
- no need for a safety spring

Anyone else considered these two capacity hats for a mobile HF radio installation?
AC0HD
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: opinion.. Reply with quote

the Seirra could only be effectively used on a screwdriver type antenna due to it's 3/8 X24 mount. The DxEngineering HotRodz though designed and charted to work with the Hustler resonators, could be used with any thing with a large enough shaft to tighten the set screws into.

The Hot Rodz come with a general sizing chart also which gives a good indication of initial tuning and takes a lot out of the trial and error.

Additionally, as you stated, the flexibility of having the multiple tuned lengths of the radials with the Hot Rodz system allows for easily and fairly quickly making changes if necessary. I must say though that if using the tophat on a screwdriver type antenna like the Sierra is designed for, changes would probably not even be needed once the tophat was setup as opposed to the mono band resonator type setup like the Hustler. (though the Hustler setup is what I use and have used with great and impressive success with only 90 watts.)

Les - ac0hd
KK7GC
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Sidekick manual Reply with quote

I recently acquired a used Sidekick but do not have any manual for it. I am getting some strange readings when trying to tune to different frequencies. I am not sure if it is the antenna or my installation. I would like to take the antenna apart to look for problems but am hesitant to do this without the manual. Is the manual small enough to be scanned and emailed or am I better off to order one from High Sierra?

Thanks,
George - KK7GC
AC0HD
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: High Sierra mount and manual... Reply with quote

I'd say the manual could be found in pdf or word format online but am not sure. If one had a manual and a scanner, it could be scanned and saved to be e-mailed very easily and if the manual is small the pages can be enlarged to be printed as a landscape size page on standard letter sized paper very simply, should one need it enlarged even that large.

As far as the tuning....I'd start with the ground. Make sure you have a GOOD RF GROUND between the antenna and vehicle body and frame. I use a 18" piece of 2" wide braided copper ground strap from my antenna base mount on my receiver hitch to my vehicle's body. For any static you may notice when running down the road, you can also drop a piece of 5/16 or so coated stranded steel cable from the body/frame to the ground (strip back enough of the coating to allow the steel to drag along the ground for static discharge.

I had a bit of static build up in my system as soon as I would start rolling (I assume due the the 35" rubber (tires) I have mounted on the rims???). I got the idea from someone online (not sure why I didn't think of it earlier...) but it worked. I now have less than a 1-2 noise level on 20 meters (seems to be the worst band for picking up static in my setup) at 75mph whereas I had as much as 5-6 s-units of static noise before.

The only issue I've noticed is that in an XJ with almost 6" of lift and 35" tires, I sit high enough that the wire/ small cable hanging down is noticed very easily so I have a lot of people pulling up and letting me know I have something hanging down and dragging the ground under my Jeep.

Maybe you can glean some help from something in the above.

Les - acohd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NØHR QRM Forum Index -> HF Mobile Antennas All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: