NØHR QRM Forum Index NØHR QRM
Ham Radio Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Went back to v1.6.73 :-(

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dg2iaq
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Went back to v1.6.73 :-( Reply with quote

Hi Pat.

After having MobileLog v2 only for test purposes yet on my PDA, I decided not to use it for my soon summer holiday in Denmark where I like to build up a small portable station.

The reason for (temporary) going back to v1.6.73 is simply that the old version is much easier to install in case of any needs to do a full RESET on the PDA.

With the v2 I always had problems with the installation after a RESET, if my PC or laptop was not available. No chance to install !! Very Happy And the used Runtimes often did an interaction with other programs, so that either that programs -- or MobileLog stopped working and a totally re-install was necessary. E.g. with the "AFU-PACK" package or other programs.

No problems with v1 instead ! Once installed on the FlashDisk or SD-Card it could be easily brought to work by simply start and install the VisualBasic Runtime. The program itself has not to be re-installed again. And the VB Runtime installation runs from a CAB file, without the need of any PC or laptop.

So this possibility is much "safer" for me, and can be (more or less easily) be recovered while being outside or portable.

But of course v2 would have much better options and a much better speed. But the disadvantages for me on a need of re-installing are unfortunately actually not worth that.

Jochen (DG2IAQ)
n0hr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Went back to v1.6.73 :-( Reply with quote

Hi Jochen

Sorry to hear about your problems with MobileLog. If I were to give you an installation CAB file would that work? That way, you would be able to keep a copy of the installation CAB on your Flash/SD card and reinstall without needing a PC.

Of course, if you are satisfied with the v1.X features, that is fine, but I thought I'd ask if a v2 CAB-based installer would work for you.

Either way, enjoy your holiday in Denmark.

Pat NØHR

http://www.n0hr.com
dg2iaq
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat.

Thank you for your fast reply.

Yes, I think a CAB file would be great to be able to work INDEPENDEND from any PC or laptop. With it everybody could re-install the V2 from a SD-Card. I just have a kind of "emergency package" on my SD-Card, e.g. all in a subfolder "..\Mini-Rescue\.. or something similar, ..hi.
Just making a copy of the needed CAB and move the copied file 1 folder up, for example. Then re-install by double-click on this copied file.
I only start the copies, never the originals, as the CAB files are automatically deleted after 1 installation. Otherwise I should label my subfolder as "..\Mini-Rescue-but-only-1-time\.." Laughing

So a CAB file would be absolutely great !!

But I'm sure it might not solve the problem of the VisualBasic concurrency in between several software packages. I had this problem several times. If once the "loopback" starts, ..you can forget it and you have to re-install ALL (and of course do the personal settings in your program again).

This was my main reason for my (of course unliked) step back from V2 to V1.

In parallel I'll send you my installed package of the free "AFU-PACK". Maybe you can find out why this sometimes do to harmonize with your V2. It must be a VB-mismatch.

The programm needs the "msvbppc.armv4.cab" and I'm nearly sure here is the problem !

If I remember correctly your V2 database has the same filename ending and therefor MS WinCE thinks that this package above is now responsible for your V2 database instead of the own specified V2 program itself !!?? Could this be !?

Could a simple renaming of your database name in your software structure could immediately stop this problem !? As the quickest and simplest way, maybe !?

e.g. instead of "DG2IAQ.vb" the V2-database could be labeled as "DG2IAQ.n0hr" or if WinCE might not be able to handle more than 3 letters as endings maybe simply "DG2IAQ.n0h".

Jochen (DG2IAQ)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NØHR QRM Forum Index -> MobileLog All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: