NØHR QRM Forum Index NØHR QRM
Ham Radio Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wabler and digi pocket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB1IUI
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: wabler and digi pocket Reply with quote

Could the Wabler be used with a Pocket PC and Digipocket? How?

Mike Kennedy

KB1IUI
n0hr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: wabler and digi pocket Reply with quote

Hi Mike

If you're wondering if PocketDigi could be used with the Warbler (QRP transceiver)... I don't know of any reason that combination wouldn't work.

Pat NØHR

KB1IUI wrote:
Could the Wabler be used with a Pocket PC and Digipocket? How?

Mike Kennedy

KB1IUI
KB1IUI
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Wabler Reply with quote

I guess I was wondering how to connect the two. I have a HP IPAQ Traveller. Would I need a cicuit between them or just need to fabricate a cable? The traveler doesn't have a mic jack.

Mike Kennedy
KB1IUI
n0hr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wabler Reply with quote

Ahh - I see.

You might take a look around my site for some tips. I don't have your particular combination, but I've found the Tigertronics SignalLink box to be a good way to do that.

Take a look at this link:
http://www.n0hr.com/PocketDigi/PocketDigi_Tigertronics_Interface.htm

I've used it and it takes a lot of the headache away for interfacing with common HF transceivers (Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, ...). However, I'm guessing that you may have a bit of work to do (custom cable?) for your rig.

73 es GL
Pat NØHR

KB1IUI wrote:
I guess I was wondering how to connect the two. I have a HP IPAQ Traveller. Would I need a cicuit between them or just need to fabricate a cable? The traveler doesn't have a mic jack.

Mike Kennedy
KB1IUI
w2agn
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Warbler and Pocketdigi Reply with quote

Mike, You don't need an interface with the warbler, as it is builtin, BUT since your PDA doesn't have a mike jack, it is a problem. I would try plugging some sensitive earbud (Koss?) into the Warbler, and placing one against the internal mike opening on your PDA. I am not sure if the Warbler has enough volume to work this way, I have not tried mine. If it doesn't, then get a cheap amplified speaker at Radio Shack or whatever, and plug that into the output of the Warbler. That should give enough volume to drive Pocketdigi.
pe1rln
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Symbol PPT-8800 PocketPC which I recently purchased second hand. These things are very rugged and can handle some water.

They have a built-in microphone but no connection to the outside, only for headphones.
However, I discovered that on the serial/charge connector there are 2 pins unused. So I soldered a wire directly on the signal-pin from the microphone and one to the speaker. Via the cradle I can connect this to my set.

Take care: the signal from your TRX is usually a bot too loud so always use a capacitor in series (also to eliminate the DC signal used to power the mic) and maybe a resistor (if needed). This will get your audio clear. Check this with the recording function to play back some receiver noice.

The TX is the same although signals from a soundcard are the same, so use those procedures.

I am using the software on my Symbol for about a week now and I am quite satisfied. Hopefully the software will be improved so it can work even better but still satisfied nog!

Best 73 from PA,

Thijs PE1RLN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NØHR QRM Forum Index -> PocketDigi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: