Well another CQ WW CW has come and gone… Now it’s time to post scores, upload logs to CQWW and LoTW, make a to-do list for the next one and catch up on some sleep. Was anyone else a bit groggy at work today?
I’ll post some more updates in the days ahead on my recent shack updates, the last minute tweaks to the 160m and 80m antennas, N1MM logger crashes (ICOM IC-7600 USB driver might be the suspect), and my petition to add the SOAB (A) LP category to the rules committee last year.
You can find the latest posted CQWW scores on the pileup website. That’s a great way to see how things are shaping up as new logs are posted. Worth a look.
Band QSOs Zones Countries
160: 22 7 10
80: 78 14 43
40: 220 24 83
20: 332 27 103
15: 217 26 93
10: 41 10 24
Total: 910 108 356 Total Score = 1,178,560
My writeup on 3830:
I had a few goals for this one…
1) Improve last year’s score – and cross the 1M mark for the first time in CQWW CW. Done. In fact, I beat my CQWW SSB score as well… about 100k more points with about 50 fewer Qs. I had hoped to break the 1000 QSOs threshold. Oh well, maybe next time.
2) Improve my lowband scores. Done. I’m still not satisfied though. No rx antennas, low power and fairly poor tx antennas on 80 & 160 sure is painful. I changed the feed systems on both antennas and I think that helped. Last year I had 7 Qs on 160 and 60 Qs on 80 – so this was a step up.
3) Work some new DXCC and band-countries. Especially on 80m (towards 5BDXCC). Done – 3 all time new ones. 10 new ones on 80m and 2 new ones on 160m.
4) At least 30+ hours in the chair. Done. I was distracted by a sale on PC speakers at Staples though – which meant a 6am Black Friday shopping run early Friday. I really needed to sleep in and should have asked the XYL to make the trip. Not sure I wanted to “go there” though “honey, will you run to Staples at 6am for some PC speakers on sale for me while I sleep in for the weekend contest?”
5) Improve station layout. Partial credit. I reorganized the table and added a shelf. I’ll post pics on my blog when I get a chance: http://www.n0hr.com/ Still need to replace my desk and rework the shack some more.
6) Reduce frustrating N1MM crashes. I’m using N1MM with my IC-7600 and the USB connection (driver by K3CT?). I had been having somewhat frequent crashes of N1MM. So, I brought in a new laptop running Win7, plenty of power and a fresh system. Still had a few crashes – much less than under my home PC with Vista.
Arrrg. One was a BSOD. I think it might be related to the USB audio via the Icom driver. I’m not sure I trust the USB Icom driver I guess.
7) Have fun. Done. This was a great contest. Propagation could have been better, but overall a lot of fun.
Excuse list: single radio, no skimmer, propagation from the black hole of the midwest, etc.
Log already uploaded to LOTW.
ICOM IC-7600 (100W)
10-20m: SteppIR 4 element @ 72′
40m: XM-240 @ 80′
80m: wire vertical mounted on chain link fence
160m: inv L sloped horizontal fed at tower base
Keyer: Winkey USB
I’ve added my log to my DXKeeper and uploaded automatically to the Logbook of the World resulting in some new DXCC band-countries confirmed. All time new ones worked were Kermadec Dxpedition (ZL8X), PJ5 and V6.
The DXKeeper upload report shows 28 first QSOs for Entity-Bands (ie first Moldova QSO on 80m). That will certainly help towards my 5 band DXCC goal where I still need to confirm 100 countries on 80m.